Saturday, February 25, 2006

Annoying phone calls

I should be writing today (I did get a lot done earlier this morning) but I've spent the past few hours online trying to figure out how to get these people to stop calling my cell phone. For the past week, I've been getting calls from an 800 number, and when I answer they say nothing. I called the number back and got a recorded message saying I'd reached the company (can't understand the company's name due to the woman's accent). She goes on to say that if I'm calling to have my name removed from their list (well, duh) I should stay on the line and speak to a representative, or leave my name and number and they'll remove me from the list. So I hang on the line, listen to the same recorded message a few times, and finally get another one telling me to leave my name and number after the beep. Only, there's no beep. I've waited as long as 5 minutes one time to see if a so-called representative would come on the line, but all I get is silence. Sigh. Has anyone dealt with something like this before? I filed a complaint with the FCC and emailed my cell phone company about this, but beyond that I don't know what more I can do. The calls come about 10 times a day, every day. I don't know how they got a hold of my number--only the SO, the kids and their schools, and my parents have it. I've only had the phone for a few months, so maybe they're calling for the person who had the number before me. Don't know...I just know it's driving me crazy. Any advice?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Regarding this problem what you should not due is call the number back because they are fishing for information about you be it your name,address, and phone number.

This has been happening in the area I live in and I reported this to my local police station since I volunteer there and I was told to do exactly what I just informed you and/or anyone else reading this.

Hope this helped.

Elisa said...

Thanks very much--it helps a lot. I haven't been answering the calls, so hopefully eventually they'll stop.

Anonymous said...

Call your cell phone company, the can block certain phone numbers if you want them to. At least that's what DH, the cop, says. I had the same problem with someone text messaging me all the time. Eventually I had to take text messaging taken off my cell phone.

K.A.S. said...

I'd definately see about getting them blocked. Talk about annoying!
Good luck.

Elisa said...

Thanks, ladies. The cell phone company says I can't block the number, but if the calls don't stop I can change my phone number. :P

Rob Gregory Browne said...

Hmmm. This sounds suspiciously like an old scam to get you to call a number that forwards you to a special long distance number. Next thing you know, you've got a whopping phone bill and the scam artists get a fat royalty check.

Elisa said...

Ugh. Well, I'm glad it's my prepaid cell phone they're calling rather than my landline.