Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Setting goals part 2

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to my longterm goals--probably more thought than I should given that I've never really been much of a planner. *g* It's not so much about the number of books I want to have published, or the number of manuscripts I want to have out for consideration. It's more about where I want to go, as a writer. One of my critique partners writes romantic suspense. Another writes contemporaries. Another writer friend writes cool paranormals. And what do I write? Um...just about everything. I haven't been able to nail my writing down to one or two things yet. For small press publishing, this isn't too much of a problem, but I'm currently looking for an agent and, for that kind of stuff, I'd probably want to stick with one genre. So part of my goal for the next year (along with a way-too-long list of books I want to write) is to really think about where I want my writing to go, and nail this whole thing down to one or two genres. Mind you, this isn't a New Year's resolution--I can never keep them so I don't bother to make them anymore. *g* I'm starting in December. For the writers out there, what are your goals for the coming year? For the readers, I'm really curious to hear from you. What do you think about authors who write in multiple genres with the same pen name? Does it bug you or do you like it? Would you rather they used different pen names for each genre?

5 comments:

K.A.S. said...

I really like one name for all genres - makes it so much easier to shop without google. But really, if the author writes well enough, the name doesn't matter - I'll remember who (s)he is.

Leila Brown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leila Brown said...

Hey, I say if you are good at writing everything write everything. Just seperate the super sexy from the contemps (like your chick lit book). Other than that I think if they like your voice they will like just about anything you write.

Had to delete last post. There was a spelling error and blogger won't let you edit. Ughhh!

Elisa said...

Karen, I'm like you. It doesn't bother me if an author writes multiple genres under the same name.

The one exception to that, for me, was when John Grisham wrote A PAINTED HOUSE. lol It was just *so* different that I had trouble associating the book with him as an author.

Elisa said...

Thanks, Phoenix. :) My young adult stuff will be published under a different name, with no cross-promo going on, lol, but other than that it's been very simple so far to just have one website. *g*