Tuesday, September 20, 2005

To critique, or not to critique...

This is a very controversial subject in certain writing circles. *g* The good thing about critique groups, and critiques in general, is that it helps you polish your work before you send it out into tbe big, bad world of publishing. The bad thing about critiques is that they're very subjective and can be harmful to the story you're telling. Critique groups can be an invaluable resource for learning the mechanics of writing. But inexperienced critiquers can over-critique, changing your voice to their own and making the story lose its heart. There has to be a balance between negative comments and positive ones, and the critiquer's style has to mesh with your own or else you won't be gaining anything much from the critiques. Support is so important in this career. There are too many letdowns--and high points non-writers don't understand--to go it alone. I have a terrific group of authors that I work with now for my mainstream manuscripts. (I still have yet to find someone brave enough to read my erotic stuff LOL) We critique each other's work for plot holes and inconsistencies, and we brainstorm when someone needs a little help. We also cheer for each other when things are looking up, provide a shoulder to cry on when someone gets bad news, and give a kick in the rear when someone starts to get down on themselves. For me, this works. I get the advice I need from people I trust, people who get my voice and my style. If they tell me that my ms needs work, I know it probably does. Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. *g* I'm a little behind on website updates, but the featured author page for this month will be up in the next few days. Lis

No comments: